Subject: Re: [Leica] System Compatibility and Equipment Reliability
From: "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 09:56:57 -0700

Hmmm.  Guess I shouldn't have touched off this one again... All I am going
to say is that, in my experience (and I do have alot of experience in this
area), the current model Land Rovers are the only suitable expedition
vehicle left on the market.  Just ask the desert guides in the Western
Sahara.  They love the power and handling of the Japanese vehicles for the
first few years, until all that pounding across the hamada shakes them
apart.  Today, they all use Defender 110s with the 300 Tdi.  The Discovery
is just a different body on the exact same platform as the Defender.  In
fact, you can interchange engine, drivetrain, and suspension parts between
them!

- --Jim