Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Helios 85/1.5?history?
From: "Mârtiòð Zelmenis" <martin@lrpv.lv>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 16:55:18 +0200

OK,
we can leave it here - while I remain suspicious and reserved about
Russian/Ukrainian photo equipment I respect your admiration for it. I
wouldn't have pressed the point if I hadn't had real headache because of
soviet gear; Japanese stuff may be either from the _consumer line_ - or
_pro-line_,  and it pays to KNOW the difference; my only problems with Jap
equipment have arised from lack of this information.
(Besides, have you owned Russ/Ukr Kaleinar 2.8/100 lens; it was manufactured
in Nikon mount? This one has greatly influenced my judgements.   ;-P    )
And no, thanks, I won't be in any newsgroup devoted to Russian Cameras; I've
not got time for it.

Yours

Martin

>I am glad you are content with what you've got for your M6 - but happily
>those lenses don't have too many moving parts, and it's no rocket science
>manufacture a (lens) barrel - cylinder moving inside a cylinder. It's a
>different question when it comes to moving parts of an automatic diaphragm.

Well, I also have a bunch of SPS SLR lenses as well, all of which work
well.  (And, yes, I have the vaunted 1.5/85 Helios-40 in M42.)

Blanket statements as to quality invariably leave you liable to have holes
poked in your tale by someone who has had a different experience.  (For
instance, I had an absolutely miserable Nikon F2 once, a terrible dog of a
camera.  It was the only Nikon body I have ever owned.  It certainly would
not be proper for me to condemn the entire Nikon breed based on my
experience.)

Why not come over to the Russian Camera List and discuss your perceptions
there?  QC/QA is an issue, but not nearly as bad a one as you seem to
believe.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!