Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: New aviation rules
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 22:32:06 -0400

> I spent many years working for a company that designed, built, and sold
> laptop computers.

Me too ;-)

> If a laptop computer loses energy to electromagnetic radiation, that
> energy is not available to power the computer.  For this reason, the
> companies that design laptops spend extraordinary amounts of time and
> money testing and reducing the RF radiation from the computers, not
> because some government agency makes them, not because it will be kinder
> to airplanes, but because it will be more profitable.

But there are VERY strict FCC EMI regulations, for both the equipment on
board the airplane (and that equipment would interfere with each other if
they were susceptible to any interference from a CD player in the back of
the plane!), and for your consumer electronics.

> For this reason I am quite certain that laptop computers do not bother
> navigation equipment.

I am quite certain too...or why would they allow you to use them while
in-flight!