Subject: [Leica] Summicron 50 detachable hood
From: "Juan J. Buhler" <jbuhler@pdi.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 14:01:17 -0700 (PDT)

I asked a couple of days ago about how to deal with the clumsily
designed hood and cap on the detachable-hood 50 Summicron.

The reason I wanted to use the cap is not as much mechanical
protection (the hood does a good job at that) but protection against
my fingers touching the front element when I'm fishing the lens or
lens/camera from a bag. I don't want to have to check the lens for
greasy fingertips every time I pick the camera up.

Here's what I ended up doing: I put some tape around the outside of
the cap, to make it thicker. Now I can put the cap inside the hood
when the hood is attached, and can still use the cap normally when the
hood is backwards. In order to be able to fish the cap from inside the
hood, I put another piece of tape on the front of the cap, with a bit
of it loose and taped to itself, fashioning a little tape handle.

I also thought about using tar and feathers to protect the lens, but I
think this would give it bad bokeh.

 Juan J. Buhler | Sr. FX Animator @ PDI | Photos at http://www.jbuhler.com