Subject: Re: [Leica] Why is the lowest shutter speed on a Leica M6 1/1000?
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 11:49:13 -0500

> Absolutely, Muhammad. The two biggest failings of the M are the top
> shutter speed of 1000th, which makes the use of high speed film in
> daylight difficult indeed, and the lack of a higher flash sync, which
> makes daylight fill flash a virtual impossibility. I almost always try
> to shoot at apertures of f4 or below, and because I use Tri-X at 800 -
> not even 400 - almost exclusively - I'm in trouble anytime I step out
> the door in daylight. I know, I know, I can use ND filters. But ND
> filters are filters, and filters, as we all 'know' from hanging around
> here, immediately turn your high res Leica lenses to Japanese jelly
> jars. ;-)

I wonder what I am missing here. I shoot B&W 400ISO all the time and usually
am between F2/f5.6 at 500 and sometimes 1000. Maybe because I never shoot
with that ISO in brilliant sunshine, and usually time my shooting for late
afternoon to early evening and at that, if there is Sun, will shoot in the
shade. Now if Muhammad and B.D. are doing landscapes why use such a high
ISO? Just wondering.

sl