Subject: [Leica] Re: How does one focus better a Leica SLR in fairly dim light???...
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 3 Oct 2001 08:15:47 -0700

On Wed, 03 October 2001, Alfie Wang wrote:

> Hi fellow Leica-ers,
>
> Lately I've been shooting Fuji color film in various settings with my
> recently acquired Leicaflex. In this case I've been shooting in near
> darkness with lots of shadows and fairly little light during the late
> evening outside around the Philadelphia area. I've used the Nikon 8008s in
> similar situations in the autofocus mode and most of the time, the
> program/shutter priority/aperture priority modes can't focus in near
> darkness because there are no clear edges for the "computer chip" to
> identify.
>
> Now for the big question: What are some visual cues that you use to focus
> say a Summicron on R4 in near darkness? Do you look at the edges of objects?
> Do you point to an object in more lighting which you think is about the same
> distance as the dark object and then recompose the shot?
>
> And the other big question is the following: What is the amount of latitude
> that you can have on the focusing ring and still keep the object in focus?
> For example, I notice that I can move the focusing ring about 2mm left or
> right and the object still seems to be in focus. Apparently I can understand
> immediately why the rangefinder is better in that respect :) especially in
> lower light settings. Any tips on focusing "exactly" with say a R4 or R8 in
> dim light?
>
> Thanks again :)
>
> sincerely,
> Alfie

In near-darkness I don't use an R4.  Since I don't have an M I use a Leicaflex SL.  I doubt a better SLR viewfinder has ever been made.  The R8's is nearly as good and has a diopter adjustment for those who need it.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe