Subject: [Leica] Travel
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 22:50:43 +0200

I just took my first flights since Sept. 11, Zurich-Munich r/t. At
Zurich airport yesterday morning the security procedures were the same
as always, that is pretty stringent. The only visible difference was
that there was a passport check just before getting on the plane,
something that is normally only done on flights to the US, the UK and
Israel. I had no problems with my carry-on luggage--a standard "pilot
case" and my Domke 803 satchel with Leicas. As always, I just sent it
through the scanner, as I do not believe it causes harm to film.

In Munich this morning, same story w.r.t. carry-on, but I did have to
take the lens caps of my Leicas. No need to take batteries out or any
such thing. I do not know how this compares to what they did in Munich
before Sept. 11, since this was the first time I flew there.

This was on Swissair. So it appears that security continues to be
handled in the usual competent Swiss way. Unfortunataly the same cannot
be said of the management of the airline as a whole. It is now bankrupt
and all planes were grounded about 4 hours after I landed in Zurich this
morning...

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman