Subject: [Leica] Summicron 50 detachable hood
From: "Juan J. Buhler" <jbuhler@pdi.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 12:40:24 -0700 (PDT)

[This is my once-every-couple-months delurk]

After months of using Russian Jupiters and Industars, I bought a
Summicron 50 for my M6. It's the detachable hood version, I believe
that was the previous version before the current one. $525 at K&S in
Palo Alto, I think that's a good price (the lens is like new, or at
least like a new lens would look after a week in my hands.)

Now, this lens is gorgeous, I had rented the exact same model before
and love it, but the hood/cap design looks like it was done by a group
of monkeys. If I have the hood on, I cannot use the cap. If I want to
use the cap, I have to put the hood backwards. Then the way the hood
locks into the lens is slow and prone to scratching it (not that I
care too much about that)

I want to be able to take a cap off quickly and be ready to shoot. Not
that I walk around with the lens cap on, but this is still important
when changing lenses or taking the camera out of the bag for the first
time.

Anyone have a good alternative to the hood/cap thing on this model of
Summicron?

Thanks,

 Juan J. Buhler | Sr. FX Animator @ PDI | Photos at http://www.jbuhler.com

Replies: Reply from "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] Summicron 50 detachable hood)