Subject: Re: [Leica] Why is the lowest shutter speed on a Leica M6 1/1000?
From: Dante Stella <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 11:21:38 -0400 (EDT)

It is not inherent to rangefinders but inherent to the M-series design,
which assumes a large, heavy, springloaded cloth curtain that moves across
the film plane from left to right.  The maximum (let's call it) crossing
speed - the speed at which the shutter can be completely open - is 1/55 of
a second.  All faster speeds have slits that travel across the film plane.
There are only two ways to increase the speed from 1/1000 sec.  One is to
make the springs tighter - but spring tension won't reliably pull the
M-shutter faster than 1/800 or 1/900 sec.  The other is to change the slit
width, but when the slit sizes get small, it is hard to control error.
The fastest horizontal shutters (the Nikon titanium foil version) hit
about 1/2000 sec and 1/90 synch.

More modern multibladed metal and composite shutters (vertical travel)
have much higher crossing speeds (1/125 and 1/250 sec).  This translates
into higher flash synch speeds.  It also means that errors in slit width
are minimized, because the necessary slit is now 2-4x the size, meaning an
error of a fraction of a mm is not nearly as significant.  They are also
timed by oscillators, which eliminates the timing reliability of springs.
Vertical travel (across 24mm and not 36mm) also helps significantly.

It is surprising that Leitz never developed a new shutter that could allow
their lenses to be shot wide open or at the optimum aperture in bright
sunlight.  With 100-speed film, the Sunny-16 rule (and modern film speed
measurement), you need faster than 1/1000 sec to shoot a 35/2 Summicron
at its optimum of between f/4 and f/5.6. (Same goes for Elmarits, Sonnars,
Jupiters, Nikkors and any other lens with this optimum setting).  To shoot
a Summilux wide-open you need 1/16000 sec... I wonder how much the
1/1000 sec limitation has informed Leica rangefinder lens design.

Of course the disclaimer is that film speeds were much lower (Tri-X,
at 200, was "fast") back in the 1950s, when the modern M shutter was
designed.  But it has less of a place now, where the
distinctive fingerprints of some famous of Leica lenses (Summilux 75,
Noctilux, etc) are lost by f/2.8.

None of this is an issue on the R, which now has a fast metal shutter.