Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: New aviation rules
From: "Jon Honeyball" <jon@jonhoneyball.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 09:02:19 +0100

The problem has arisen, Ted, because of American airports complete inability to have any sort of grown-up long-trousers security for internal flights.

Banning handluggage is not the solution to the problem. It is a get-around by the airlines who have wanted to get rid of pesky handluggage for years.

It is exactly the same mentality which bans use of GSM phones on planes, and use of GSM phones in hospitals. The "we want it done OUR way/we have a premium priced service to sell you instead" excuse wrapped up as safety legislation.

The excuse that you might carry something sharp in your handluggage which can be used as a weapon is risible -- I assume that there will be no inflight cutlery any more too.

Jon

>>Sorry mate, but under the circumstances you may not have any choice as it
isn't just someone on the LUG making this up, it happens to be an assessment
being considered by your Government and mine and the airlines.<<