Subject: Re: [Leica] Chocolate box
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 09:50:31 -0400

It's a fascinating chicken/egg question - Is this what the public wants
because this is the public taste, developed separately from commercial
realities - or has the public been "trained" to believe that this is
"good" photography. Frankly, I believe it is the later - parents
inundated with posed school photos, Sears baby pics, advertising photos,
etc....It really has nothing to do with knowing or not knowing HCB or
Steichen....Don't forget, the public used to love Life and Look and
their photo journalism - that wasn't killed by lack of public taste, but
by the competition posed by television and instant gratification...

B. D.