Subject: RE: [Leica] Darkroom!
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 00:03:32 -0700

Dave Rodgers..... 105 El Nikkor or the APO El Nikkor?  The 105 regular is
rather a good but not especially great lens.....  the 80 mm APO Rodagons
should be better, but your head must be higher, and you might be getting
some vibration that is upsetting you.......????

I do rememerb there was an earlier and later version of the ROdagins....
difference and reason escape me, but the new APO ROdagon N lenses are truly
spectacular, and every bit as good as the APO Componon HM lenses....

There are ranges of enlargement over which these lenses are optimized......
I do not have the figures, but we all can overuse the lens in ways that do
not optimize the best features.....  I had a 170 APO El Nikkor  that
performed no better than my 150 COmponon-S..... The APO was to work best at
a n enlargement of 2x precisely, but I routinely make 4x prints..... so the
150 was the better lens.....I sold the 170.....

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net