Subject: Re: [Leica] Self introduction and first info-seeking topic
From: V8PWR@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 04:21:09 EDT

Dans un courrier daté du 24/09/01 21:07:27 Paris, Madrid (heure d'été),
tdschofield@msn.com a écrit :

> There once was a line of thought that horizontal shutters gave a more
>  pleasing perspective for horizontally moving subjects than vetical
shutters.

>  Something called focal plane shutter distortion which occurs when the
>  subject is moving while the shutter slit is travelling its course.  The
>  subject was not in the same place when the slit started as it is in when
the

>  slit finishes, elongating or compressing the subject.  Remeber, even
though
>  any given point on the film maybe getting only 1/1000 or 1/2000 of a
second
>  of light, one spot may be getting its 1/1000th or 1/2000th of light, 15 or
>  30/1000ths of a sec. later than another spot (e.g. with a 1mm slit width).

>  That, I beleive, is one reason why only the consumer models (e.ge.
>  Nikkormat) had vertical travelling shutters and the professional models
had
>  horizontal shutters (e.g. F, F2, F3).
>
>  Maybe its no longer an issue with modern, high speed shutters, or just
that
>  no one talks about sacrificing this issue to get other advantages (higher
>  shutter speeds, higher flash sych, etc.), and the absence of people using
MF

>  focal plane shutter cameras (Pentax 67, Exacta 66, Pentacon, Hasselblad F)
>  for action phtography.
>
>  Tom Schofield

I think horizontal  ( H ) shutters were created due to the search for a
higher wanted speed .
In a H shutter , the blades travel less than in the V one , thus permitting a
higher speed .
So I think H shutters are just another technology , compared to V , that
allow higher speed .
But who needs 1/8000 Th , if not just for allowing higher film speed during
daytime ?

JO GOODTIMES -FRANCE