Subject: Re: [Leica] Diluting developer: was: Ilford delta 100 dev. suggestions
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 17:01:55 -0400

Possibly Adam was thinking in terms that the longer the wet time, the
greater the 'clumping' of the grains which might give an apparently larger
grain size-- However, I have not heard of the clumping being an issue in
years, possibly because of the advances in emulsions. Years ago, a slight
change in processing temerature, even by a few degrees, could cause the
dreaded reticulation. Well, I have at times by mistake found that I was
washing film in HOT water, and have yet to get reticulation with the modern
emulsions. They are 'harder' perhaps? If so, I don't think extended wet
times would have any effect on the grain.
The Delta films use what the Kodak people called "T-grain" which also seems
to keep the grains in place and of a rather smaller and consistant size
while maintaining a greater sensitivity than the older amorphous grained
film.
Just a thought.
Dan