Subject: Re: [Leica] What causes brassing?
From: "SonC (Sonny Carter)" <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 14:10:43 -0500

Brassing is a complex situation that develops on a camera when you use
it for what it was intended, namely taking pictures.  It is not
something to be avoided.   Exquisite finish on an old camera is
something to be admired, unfortunately, such cameras have no memories
attached, nor do they have resumes.

My new (to me) R3 has lovely patina, showing that the guy who owned it
before carried it about.  He was a farmer from rural Arkansas who
walked into Dee's Camera one day in 1978 and plunked down the cash for
a Leica and lenses and an enlarger.  As understand it, he took the
camera out of the box in the store,  hung it on a strap around his
neck and walked out the store.

I'll catch some flak from the polishers over this, but I don't care.
These Leica cameras are just too much fun to use to be worrying about
the finish all the time.

Regards,

Sonny
http://www.sonc.com