Subject: Re: [Leica] soft release
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 15:02:51 EDT

In a message dated 9/21/01 11:21:55 AM Pacific Daylight Time, cmbrow@wm.edu
writes:

<< Hey Tom,

 I hope you don't mind my asking so publically, but I'm sure others care,
 too.  How are you doing?

 All the best,

 Chandos

Chandos,
 I am doing as well as can be expected. My energy level is very low as I am
operating on only 35% of the remaining bone-marrow. Unfortunately my
transplant was delayed yesterday due to bed-shortage at the Cancer Agency. I
was supposed to have gone in next Tuesday, but now it is more likely that it
will not be until mid-October! It is a bummer as they have put me back on to
the steroids which plays havoc with glucose levels in the blood. Well, at
least the medication keeps the Myeloma under control. I try to put in a
couple of hours in the workshop every day although Tuulikki restricts it
severely. The treatment that I will be getting is rather heavy-duty; seven
days of intensive chemo, a day of rest and then the infusion of the new,
improved bone-marrow and after that two to three weeks of rehab at the
hospital. There is a certain apprehension about the treatment which makes the
postponement bearable, but at the same time I wish to have it done so I can
start going back to normal life. Of course, in light of what is happening in
NYC and Washington DC, my problems are rather insignificant and one should
keep that in mind. I am trying to use my time for more creative endeavours,
like the final design of the "Barnack" Rapidwinder (for 3C/3F and 3G) and the
On/Off switch on the battery cover. The first batch of chemo (a mild
precursor of what's to come) disposed of the hair and beard at the end of
August. Our cat Barnack has still not gotten over it. He stares at me and,
although he was impressed with my shedding ability, he is not impressed with
the cue-ball fashion trend and has informed us that he is not following
suite.
 Well, the delay is allowing me to whittle away at the back-orders in a slow
fashion, although at the moment the new orders are coming in faster than I
can ship backorders. Oh well, it keeps me off the streets! Film consumption
has increased to about 25-30 rolls a month and that must be regarded as a
healthy sign. On Thursday I received my "Null-series" Leica. Cute and
remarkably authentic. For the first time in 40 years I had to read the
instruction manual in how to use a Leica! I have loaded the camera with ACROS
100 ASA film and shall try to remember to cap the lens after every shot and
also when rewinding. Setting the shutterspeeds is a different story too. It
is a very well made replica and I have a great deal of respect for those who
tested these cameras in 1923/24. Wonder how many blown frames they had on
each roll?
All the best,
Tom A

Tom Abrahamsson