Subject: Re: [Leica] Tripods in France
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 07:10:58 -0700

> ARTHURWG@aol.com wrote:
>
>Anyone have any experience using, or trying to use, a tripod in France?
I've
>heard that it's almost impossible, or at least very difficult, as someone
is
>bound to chase you away etc. I'm planning to take a trip there sometime
this >year<<<<<<

Hi Arthur,
I see others have said there's no problem using a tripod in France and that
maybe their experience in some locations.

Just don't try and use a tripod within the confines of  the Arch de Triomphe
or you will be politely told... "Non tripod!" You will be asked/told nicely
by the policemen. Don't  argue, just do it! They don't do nicely the second
time around. :-)

Shooting from the street over 6-8 (?) lanes of traffic I didn't have any
problems in the evening doing time exposures of traffic patterns and Arch.

But when you go through the tunnel under the street to the Arch properly and
the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier there isn't any question, if you take a
tripod over there, day or night, you will have the police stop you from
setting up. period. No matter what brand or size.

And please guys this is live experience from absolute been there, done it,
had it happen!

Other than the Arch and Plas de Concorde requiring time exposures in the
evening, all other shooting in Paris was hand held stuff with a fair amount
of evening material using the Noctilux without tripod.

But then a Noctilux, why use a tripod? ;-)

Soo Arthur old buddy take the tripod and use it and don't ask, just do it
and if it's a non-non you'll find out quick enough.:-)

By the same token use common sense, as you're aware there are many places,
no matter what country you reside in tripods are not allowed. I've always
found on assignment being polite about the situation you might "just be able
to get a couple of frames off" with their cooperation by smiling and sweet
talking and indicating, " Please can I just take one?" Even if the sweet
talk has to be passed through an interpreter. Occasionally you can win one
being polite!

Then break down the gear quickly.

If not, let it go, as arguing doesn't get you a thing other than ticking off
the locals and illustrating you're just another "loud mouth pain in the ass
tourist!"

ted
Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant