Subject: Re: [Leica] Thoughts about cameras and the new aviation rules
From: "Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 07:46:07 -0500

I have a couple thoughts, even though I haven't flown under the "new aviation,"  I
have been to a couple of airports in Europe and Asia during some high security times.

Nathan is correct on the issue of unloading the cameras.  The security people will
probably want to see if the camera is operable.  If you have a flash unit, be sure
you have batteries, and can make the flash go off.  Ditto for any other electronic
item.

Sometimes they will want to see a laptop or a gameboy start-up, so make sure your
batteries are topped off.

For a number of years, I've taken all my film from the boxes, and put it into clear
zip-lock bags, and when it comes x-ray time, I simply pull the bag of film out of my
camera bag and hand it to the folks for hand inspection.

The rest of my gear gets the x-ray treatment.  As an aside, in Hong Kong, and
Germany,  I left the Fuji 800 in my camera, and noticed no effect on the negatives.

I think you would see a greater effect if you sent your film in checked baggage,
since (I understand) they use higher doses of Xray on checked baggage.

I hope this helps.  Bring plenty of reading material, I understand the waiting times
are high!  Have a good and safe trip, and let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Sonny
http://www.sonc.com

From: "Nathan Wajsman" <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>