Subject: Re: [Leica] Terror
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 10:12:41 -0700

I'm pondering the anarchist movement that bombed Europe prior to the WWI.
I'm going to have to read up on it to understand why and how they worked
because it seems direct precursor, not in terms of motivation but in the way
it targeted a society.

This IS a kind of war, profoundly unconventional. Fighting it will be
non-trivial. Ultimately it is the funding sources that we will have to fight
and close. It cost big bucks to pull this off. Revealing who funded it will
be important. Ultimately its our oil purchases that probably did this
although that may be a hasty judgement.

As a nation we have watched far too many genocides. I remember sitting in
the crews mess on my submarine and reading the intelligence reports on the
Cambodian genocide - profoundly disappointed in my nations inability to do
anything about it. There have been others since.

I simply don't know enough about the Middle East to understand all the parts
of the equation - but I know it has to go back to the Crusades at least.
More recently the whole area pushed and pulled by the Cold War politics of
the US and the Soviet Union.

Perhaps we will see that ALL terrorism is ultimately the same. That there is
no difference between any of them. Their aims differ but their willingness
to kill civilians is all the same.

I fear we have an awful few decades ahead of us. I have this terrible
feeling that what we saw was the smallest weapon of mass destruction that
will be used. When no one counts costs - when you don't see those you attack
as humans - then anything is possible.

Waging a war against the funding sources for these efforts may be our best
way to go. It isn't glamorous but it may be the most effective.

Adam Bridge