Subject: RE: [Leica] Hybrid Leica M/Contax G systems
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 11:36:20 -0500

Mehrdad,

I understand what you mean about having 2 favorite systems. No one system
can do it all. (Maybe that indicates that my approach to photography is too
varied). Every system and format seems to have it's weak and strong points.
Overall I use the M system more than any other.

The bad thing about getting into a new system is it's difficult to let go of
all the old. I made the mistake of buying an SL a few years back, along with
a 3-cam 50/2. It was a bargain...or so I thought. I kept using it and adding
to it. Now I have the SL, an R7 and a half dozen R lenses. My only regret is
that my 80-200/4 (the only ROM lens I own) won't fit on the SL. I don't know
what's involved in converting it to non-ROM. I haven't persued it because I
may buy an R8 at some point.

Thus, not even all my Leica SLR gear is compatible. So having and using a
couple of Contax lenses isn't all that inconvenient. I really like the
85/1.4 for portraiture. The 60/2.8 Makro Planar is a great close up lens.

BTW, the one Leica R lens that totally sold me on the R system was the
28/2.8 Elmarit. After I used that lens I was thoroughly impressed. It seemed
a cut above all other wide angle SLR lenses I'd used, and I've used a lot
over the years.

Dave