Subject: RE: [Leica] Technology and Art
From: leica@davidmorton.org
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 17:07:49 +0100

Rodgers, David wrote:

"Sorry, but every time I see something that was "top of the line" a year
ago,
and now it's in the bargain bin (an all too common occurence) it strikes me
funny. The value seems so short term and it makes me reluctant to buy in."

Well that's your choice, I suppose.

I paid over $1100 for my Polaroid SS4000, but why would I care if it's
available now for $400? I've had it for *ages*? I've done *loads* of scans
with it, more than I can easily estimate.

Moreover as it's a computer peripheral, the tax man here in the UK lets me
write it down to zero in 12 months.

Even if I *couldn't* do that, the true cost-per-slide is still pretty low,
and surely that's the point? You don't *mind* these things dropping in price
if you've got the use out of them.

- --
David Morton
dmorton@journalist.co.uk

"The more opinions you have, the less you see." -- Wim Wenders.