Subject: Re: [Leica] Be Careful where you point the Leica.
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 08:35:26 -0500

>>My own "challenged by" took place in a fishing village near New Orleans a
>  >few years ago, took me completely by surprise, that for a moment I feared
>
> Most fishermen are doing something illegal.  It could be the net size,
> exceeding quota, or taking fish that are not on the quota.
>
> I worked on a shrimp boat for six months out of Miami.  Shrimp were the only
> thing allowed to be landed.  Lobster and crab and many fish found themselves
> caught in the trawl and should have been thrown back in the sea.  Fishery
> agents were always prowling around the docks with notepads and cameras.
>
> Then there is square grouper which is a real prize to find in the net.
> These are stray bales of marijuana that get dumped by smugglers during a CG
> chase.
>
> You were right to feel afraid.  Be careful where you point your Leica.
>
> Alan

You are right Alan,

I spent three years in Florida & the Bahamas on board my sailboat and saw
all kinds of strange stuff. It was very scary at times to be offshore
between Florida and the Bahamas, particularily at night. While in a harbour
you are always rubbing shoulders with 'pirates.' Once one of them that I had
gotten to know offered me $100,000 to navigate a Cigarette boat on a run
from Columbia across the Gulf to the US. That would have taken 30 hours or
less. I did NOT do it, and I never took any of these guys pictures.

sl