Subject: Re: [Leica] Using Leicas for sports/action photography?
From: Henry Ambrose <henryambrose@home.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 19:00:33 -0500

>So does anyone have tips for shooting sports with an m6? I used 35 and
>50 lenses. Shot around 125/200 at 2/2.8.

I have two different thoughts:

1) Practice, practice, practice.
The more you use one tool the better you'll get at using it.
The more you use it for a particular purpose the better you accomplish
that purpose. If you shot kickboxing (or other active sports) with your
Ms regularly you'd get better at it.

Pre-focus? Stay with wider lenses? How about faster film? A winder?
Shooting over one guys shoulder focus on the far fighter. Push the button
at the start of an attack, also as it should be landing, imagine where
your subjects will be when that happens, pre-focus there. Predict what
will happen next and be ready for it. If that fails predict the next
moment and be there, and again and again, 'til you get something or it
know it won't work. This is about knowing the sport then you will predict
more accurately. Shoot loads of film. Just do it more.

2)Horses for courses.
Maybe an M camera is not the best tool for every subject.
If in your mind you're seeing "perfectly-lit-action-stopped" like in
Sports magazines the 1V might be the right tool here. (and a bunch of
lights)

Henry

Replies: Reply from "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Using Leicas for sports/action photography?)