Subject: RE: Old and Mad - used to be RE: [Leica] wk36/sl
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 15:29:17 -0400

> I agree whole heart. It is not just the waiting, it is the service that
> comes along, after waiting. It has been observed by family members even
> when eating out, in the last year they say not a meal is eaten out,
> without me finding fault or being dissatisfied. I now don't just swallow
> it but now have become confrontational. I believe it comes from having
> to perform at a high level for so long, at work and being responsible.
> Now not many workers give a sh*t. Hell if I performed at such a low
> level at my job I would have been out on my ear years ago. There seems
> to be an enormous problem getting quality people. When I was a child I
> was taught what ever I chose to do when I grew up be the best at it. If
> I chose to be a janitor be the best janitor ever. It stuck with me all
> my life and I am trying to make it strike home with all my children. It
> is not easy. I think "quality" may be the "true" underlying thread that
> binds all on this group the Leica is just the manifestation. Enough of
> my rant.

Everything you said rings true with me.  I actually don't mind waiting, if I
have no choice...but I expect to get decent service when it ends up being my
turn!

In the area I live in, we can't get ANYONE to cut our lawn...that isn't a
"professional" landscaper.  I think this is a boon business for some
teenager with a pickup truck and a lawn mower.  For $50, and two
hours...s/he'd be booked solid for the entire season...but there are none.

My cousin runs a financial company...and he says every kid that comes in for
a job, fresh out of college, wants as part of the "deal" a new BMW and
$80k...all he can do is laugh at them, and send them on their way.  The sad
part, is these kids are serious, and arrogant about it.  And they would just
as soon not work, than compromise their belief of what they are worth.

Simply amazing.

Yes, quality is very very important to me, and I have no problem paying for
it.