Subject: Re: [Leica] Private property and buildings
From: "C.L.Zeni" <clzeni@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 15:14:57 -0400

At 01:00 PM 9/7/2001, you wrote:

>My own "challenged by" took place in a fishing village near New Orleans a
>few years ago, took me completely by surprise, that for a moment I feared
>some injury the way the chap was going on. My only momentary saving grace
>was, I showed him my passport and drivers license with my pictures and I was
>a visitor to his country and taking tourist pictures.
>
>It calmed him for a moment as he read,  then responded.... "you government
>guys can fake anything you want, get the hell out of here!"

One of the Black Helicopter/Conspiracy nuts I'd reckon, convinced that The
Gummint has plans to socialize everything and have us all marching around
like clones.  Likely suspects that he's been surreptitiously anesthesized
by aliens in alliance with The Gummint and had a microtransmitter implanted
in his left buttock so that The Gummint agents can track his every move...

>So it was game over, I high tailed it out of there.

Seems prudent to me.  No reasoning with nutcases.

>Many of us who've traveled abroad and even in some of the most troubled
>countries have never had similar experience while shooting. Not to say some
>haven't, but as we see here most of the comments reflect an attitude in the
>US of, "fear, paranoia or what?" by it's residents when a camera is pointed
>in their direction, even though they are not the centre of attraction.
>
>As your incident in Seattle. Quite amazing!
>
> > About four years ago, I was photographing a street corner just opposite
>the
> > Seattle's Pike Place market.  I wasn't photographing anyone in particular,
> > just the crowd scene.  Next, this woman comes running up to me screaming
> > "What right do you have to take pictures of Native Americans?  You should
> > ask permission!  You have no right to disrespect Native Americans like
> > this!"
>
>I wonder if USA members have any idea why ?

Maybe thinking you were photographer her/her father because they were
different, and somehow photographing them is disrespectful?  Again, nuts...

- --
Craig Zeni - REPLY TO -->> clzeni at mindspring dot com
http://www.trainweb.org/zeniphotos/zenihome.html
http://www.mindspring.com/~clzeni/index.html

This sig. line sanitized for your protection.

Message from "Jim Laurel" <JimLaurel@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Private property and buildings)