Subject: Re: [Leica] couple more 360 pans
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 14:49:18 -0400

on 9/6/01 12:54 PM, Bill Harting at wharting@adelphia.net wrote:

> John, I love those panoramas -- all mine have been multiple frame paste-ups,
> which have their own peculiar charm, but I wonder what if anything can be
> done to minimize the distortion? I'm thinking of a three-frame view i
> remember of  Fenway Park -- three 8x10 transparencies in which the lines
> seem to be straighter and the view more like looking out windows, as opposed
> to the wonderful liquid views you are producing.

it is a straight choice really between the rectilinear view that you use and
which preserves straight lines but distorts the edges of the frame, or the
cylindrical projection which mine are built up from which turns straight
lines into curves but preserves linear proportions. The amazing thing about
the eye is that it does both of these simultaneously. Photographically this
is impossible. The curvy version is another interpretation of reality. It
takes a while to get used to 'reading' these but they start to like quite
normal after a while.

> How many frames compose that underpass original?

It is ten but a lot of duplication. Maybe seven frames are essential.

> What would stitching 50mm
> frames look like?

very very long and thin

like a thin full-width horizontal slice of the 17mm image

> (And I'm still waiting to see the vert-a-ramas)

okay already!

- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com