Subject: RE: [Leica] couple more 360 pans
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 11:00:55 -0800

>John,
>
>IMO, the 360 thing is kind-of gimmicky.  I think that the content and
>meaning of both photographs (i.e. abandoned dwellings in
>abandoned/industrial places) gets obscured by the unusual format of their
>presentation.  When I look at those images, I think of them as panoramas
>first and an image of something second.  Maybe that is your intention, but I
>like your non-panorama street photos better.
>
>Jonathan Lee

I personally like the unusual format. For some reason or other, it draws my
eye and makes me want to explore what's happening *across* the image,
implying a kind of linearity that I don't generally feel when looking at
35mm shots. Maybe I'm just so used to the 2 to 3 ratio of 35mm that I don't
even consider the format, I just unconsciously attempt to apprehend the
image in a single, concentrated viewing. With these shots, my eye travels.

Not that this makes them any better or worse as pictures, of course,
they're just formally different, and that encourages me to view them
diffferently.

I like that difference.

Guy