Subject: RE: [Leica] lens heresy
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 12:29:36 -0500

Colin,

Part of me believes that any lens is a good lens. And certainly every lens
has strengths and weaknesses.

There's a recurring question that seems to crop up, sometimes only subtly
implied, on the LUG. Why buy a $2,000 lens when a $400 lens will do?

Here are my reasons. Usable fast aperture. Quality of build -- i.e.
longevity under heavy use -- perhaps. Not too many 20-year-old Soligors
still around. And certainly not those that experienced heavy use. I know
mine didn't hold up.

Also, potential for enlargement is a big factor. I've got some Leica negs
and some brand X negs. They both look sharp under a loupe. They both make
sharp 8x10 prints. But the difference begins to show at 11x14, especially if
both are shot wide open. I can definately see a difference in negs taken at
f1.4 with a 35/1.4 ASPH M and the venerable 35/1.4 Nikkor.

I also know for a fact that Leica negs are easier to print than those from
nearly every other 35mm camera system I've used. I don't know why. I just
know it to be so from experience.

I'll admit that a lot depends on the whole photographic process. Use a Leica
with less than rock solid hands at 1/15th and the images won't be any more
sharp than those taken with any other camera and lens. Miss focus and the
same is true. But I think you can extract more from a Leica lens than you
can most other brands, given the inclination.

I don't think any CRT viewed image is going to show off the potential of a
Leica lens over another lens, or visa versa. Nor will it prove that any lens
is great. It just proves that it's good enough for producing quality on-line
images. And with the current state of imaging, maybe that's good enough.
It's the photograph that matters.

I agree, there's nothing wrong with other brands of lenses. Very nice
photograph, btw.

Dave