Subject: Re: [Leica] Nathan's picture of Week 35
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 23:24:16 -0700

Sonny wrote:

>Well, yes, if it was on the first shot, however the sound of the
>Minolta SLR probably would have robbed Nathan of the chance to get a
>more chances at this great shot (Unless the jukebox was blaring, but
>this doesn't look like that kinda joint.   I like this picture.

1/60 or 1/30 at f/1.4 on 3200 film?  That's the equivalent of 1/8 or 1/4
second at f/1.4 on Tri-X.  That's *dim* light!

An SLR would be quite a bit more difficult to focus quickly and accurately
under those conditions.  That might have lessened his chances of capturing
the moment, properly focused.   And if the exposure was 1/30, the mirror
slap might have caused more blur.  It is certainly possible to take such a
good picture with an SLR, but the a Leica (or any other decent rangefinder)
makes the likelihood of getting the shot a bit more.

- --Peter Klein
Seattle