Subject: Re: [Leica] Nathan's picture of Week 35
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 22:17:31 +0200

Dan,

You are of course correct in saying that the picture could have been taken with
a variety of cameras. The only reason I wrote that it was a typical Leica
picture is that several of the attributes of the Leica M3 make taking this kind
of picture easier than with an SLR:

- - the quiet shutter makes it less likely that people will notice you
- - the fast lenses with excellent performance at the widest apertures make it
possible to refrain from using flash
- - the absence of a flapping mirror makes it possible to handhold the camera at
slow speeds, resulting in a lower probability of camera shake
- - the very short shutter lag makes it possible to capture the "decisive moment"

Again, all those factors are not strictly necessary to take this picture, but
they certainly increase the probability of success.

Nathan

Dan Cardish wrote:

> The implication of what you are saying is that some other camera (such as
> an SLR) could nat have taken this picture, that they don't have this
> ability.   Why is this?  I don't mean to be overly argumentative, but I am
> certain that if Nathan was sitting there with my Minolta SLR instead of his
> M3, he could have captured the very same image.
>
> dan c.

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland