Subject: [Leica] practical question - or should it be saved for Friday?
From: "Mārtiņš Zelmenis" <martin@lrpv.lv>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 16:27:00 +0300

Dear LUGgers,

I'd like to get your advice on older Leicaflex/lens prices/quality
(as this involves money although I'm not selling anything, I probably can
wait till Fridy for answers - or receive them privately!  ;-)  )    -

I got an offer to buy a set consisting of:

Black Leicalflex SL  (No. 137xxxx - if I got it right), shows little wear;
might be an EX; meter seems operational; cloth shutter hasn't been used a
while, so there's a roller mark on it;

As far as I understand, these are 2-cam lenses that go with it:

Elmarit 2.8/180 - good condition (EX+)

Summicron 2/50 - lens barrel shows visible signs of wear

Summicron 2/90 - diaphragm doesn't operate properly; sticks halfway; needs
repair

Summicron 2/35 - lens barrel shows slight signs of wear

Glass seems good, no obvious cleaning marks (But then I feel I have to get
me _glasses_ ! ;-(    )

Asking price is USD 3110 (Currently this sum is not available to me)

1) What might it cost to convert/+ repair them for use with my R7?
(Suggestions . . . I understand I have to contact some L~ dealer, but
there's no-one in my vicinity)
2) Is it a good deal? I.e., s the price good (for these old type lenses -
including conversion price)?
I understand, if converted, the lenses remain fully compatible with the SL?
3) I've got a nice 90/2.8 for my R7; does it make sense to invest in that
dubious 90/2, even if it's smaller - what could it's optical qualities be,
if it regains operationability?

Martin