Subject: Re: [Leica] Summicron 32/f2
From: "David Kieltyka" <dkieltyka@csi.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 23:59:57 -0400

Feliciano di Giorgio <feli@d2.com> wrote:

> Now, does anyone have any opinions on the 35mm Summilux
> f1.4 or how it stacks up against the Summicron? Oddly enough
> I am having a difficult time finding a used non-Asph 35mm
> Summilux for sale. Strange for a lens that's been in production
> for 30 years...

I bought a late '60s vintage 35 Summilux about a year ago from a fellow
LUGger. I love it! It's a curious lens...soft wide open in a diffused-like
way that I find very pleasing. Not quite as glow-y as the Summar I used to
own but it does the job when I want that look. Fine detail isn't rendered at
all. Field curvature is much in evidence with near objects focused on and
located at or near the frame edges. (Such objects will be slightly
out-of-focus on film even though the rangefinder indicates focus is dead
on.) At f/2 and smaller the 'Lux transforms itself into a 35 Summicron. Top
notch sharpness and contrast. Even though the lens was in production for
decades Leitz never made that many of 'em...this probably explains its
relative scarcity in the used market.

- -Dave-

Message from Feliciano di Giorgio <feli@d2.com> (Re: [Leica] Summicron 32/f2)