Subject: [Leica] ReStolen Leicas----etc..
From: Bill Lawlor <wvl@infinex.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 11:11:47 -0700

I'm going to break down and share my travel security system with the LUG.
My wife is embarrased by my "paranoid" security practices. (so they must be
effective). I believe the best security can deter or discourage the casual
thief. If they come with power tools, nothing will help.

I try to limit my baggage to two carry-on size bags. A small backpack for
incidentals and a few clothes, and an aluminum suitcase with combination
lock. (French Marine Corps issue surplus from the Paris flea mkt) for
camera gear paddeed with clothes.

Inside the aluminum case is a Fuji 645, lots of film, and a small Pellican
airtight box for Leica body and a few lenses. The Pellican box is locked
with a combination lock attached to a five-foot welded steel chain. On
arriving at a hotel, I thread the free end of the chain out a hole drilled
in the aluminum case and secure it with another combination lock to a steam
radiator, or around a toilet or other immovable fixture. I have found the
combination locks tampered with in my absence, but never lost anything.
This system has survived a five-month trip around the world, trips to
central america, and recently a trip to Bali. I always stay in spartan
backpacker accomodations where I guess the biggest risk is
fellow-travelers. So far, It works.

Bill Lawlor