Subject: Re: [Leica] lower classes don't use leicas?
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 11:12:36 +0200

Austin writes:

> I sometimes feel that way too, but there certainly
> is a huge difference between instigating (inciting)
> and raising a topic for discussion.

No, there is not.  The difference is in the perception.  People who find it
stressful or damaging to their egos to encounter disagreement will consider any
mention of any difference of opinion as "instigation," whereas those who do not
so find will not so consider.

The problem is that there is very little point to any discussion group in which
disagreement is forbidden or eschewed.  If everyone agrees and thinks in the
same way, what's to discuss?  All you really have is a social club, where those
who feel insecure when confronted with the slightest sign of difference or
unfamiliarity can feel warm and fuzzy.

I expect discussion groups to live up to their names.  I don't need warm and
fuzzy.  I prefer a productive exchange of information and opinions.