Subject: Re: [Leica] dim witted
From: Tarek Charara <tarek.charara@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 10:50:26 +0200

le 04.09.2001 4:04, Austin Franklin à darkroom@ix.netcom.com a écrit :

>> I agree absolutely. It's not what Anthony says that is important,
>> but why we
>> react to it the way we do.
>>
>> Tarek
>
> Are you sure you're not Anthony?

Be polite now, please! :-)

> Even talking about this "guy" (not my
> first choice of words) is equally as instigative as trying to talk with him.
> By your absurd logic, I can stand in the middle of a church (or Kindergarten
> class) and shout obscenities, and tell people that "I am being entirely
> appropriate, it is for them to see why you react so"?
>
> I'm sorry, but inappropriate behavior is just that, inappropriate behavior.
> Instigating people (in this forum) IS inappropriate.  If his discussion was
> genuine, and he has more or less admitted it is not, that it is to
> instigate, that would be a different story.  He probably belongs to a dog
> lovers mailing list, posting "cats are smarter than dogs" and insists that
> people explain their position ad nauseum.

If we just ignore Anthony's remarks & opinions or any other provocative
statement on this list, (about WWII, Racism, UV filters and what bag is best
for carrying our equipment, etc. etc. etc.) maybe the concerned threads will
just die out, we get less mail and everybody's happy. On the other hand we
DO respond to the provocations and this, at least in my case, I find
annoying. Why did this remark trigger a reaction? (Just relax and tell me
about your childhood...)

Anyway, in our family we say:

If someone makes a remark (about you), there are 2 possibilities:
1) He's wrong and he's an idiot. Shut up, no need to waste precious time
with an idiot.
2) He's right and maybe you're an idiot. Shut up and learn how to be better.

This is a free translation, so it might sound funny, but I hope the idea
comes through.

IMHO Anthony sometimes behaves like a child badly in need of attention. Make
sure he notices that his actions have no effect on you. Maybe he'll change.

Tarek

Replies: Reply from "Steve Barbour" <kididdoc@home.com> (Re: [Leica] dim witted)