Subject: Re: [Leica] lower classes don't use leicas?
From: Tarek Charara <tarek.charara@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 02:16:40 +0200

le 03.09.2001 21:55, Mxsmanic à mxsmanic@hotmail.com a écrit :

> Tarek writes:
>
>> If you build your business around ONE camera that
>> may need servicing every now and then...
>
> A lot of people build their businesses around one truck, or one musical
> instrument, or one boat ... or one camera.  How many cameras does a
> photographer
> have to have before he can be "professional"?

Duh, right. A lot of people also go out of business because of how they
conduct their business.  Being a pro has nothing to do with the number of
cameras or type of camera, it has something to do with making a living. A
pro doesn't even have to be good at what he's doing, he's just earning
money.

You can conduct your business any way you like. I hate taking useless risks.
Having two or three bodies while on assignment is a way of securing my job
and minimizing the risks of hardware failure.

>> well, you might want to consider common sense
>> and build your business around several cameras
>> and systems.
>
> Common sense would dictate that you not buy redundant equipment for safety if
> you can get fast and reliable service for what you have.  So given a choice
> between a vendor with fast and reliable service, and buying duplicate
> equipment
> from a vendor with slow and unreliable service, the former usually wins.

What a joke! You tell me how to get any camera body repaired in the middle
of nowhere (north of Benin, just as an example) at least 1.5 days from the
nearest capital that does not even have representants of any major camera
builders! Given a choice, I choose the sturdiest equipment for my job.

Tarek

Replies: Reply from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] lower classes don't use leicas?)