Subject: Re: [Leica] lower classes don't use leicas?
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 11:24:13 -0500

> B. D. Colen
>
> "Have to disagree here...While Leica doesn't seem as interested as N & C
> in serious pro support, you have to consider that  - one, the Ms are
> certainly more reliable and longer lived than the current generation of
> M&C equipment; and, second, and most important, if it's the best tool
> for a given photographer, it's the best tool, no matter what the
> company's attitude may be."

David Morton opines:

> Doesn't seem as interested? How about isn't interested to the *slightest*
> degree?
>
> In the UK Leica has *NO* loan stock for working pros with deadlines to meet
> who might have problems with gear.

Can we see some evidence please that you are actually a 'working' pro who
earns his living from cameras.

> None, zip, nada, nothing. The repair turn
> around time is laughable, and while there are one or two rental places they
> keep *very* little gear.

Probably the point here is that Leicas are not the FIRST choice for the
majority of professional photogs.

......but then, the question here David, is, what true pro only has one
Leica or N or C? I have 5 Ms plus SLR's. Sal DiMarco has 7 Ms plus his SLRs
same thing with Ted, Tina, Harrison, etc, etc.

> If a Nikon lens or body fails, you call Nikon and give them your VIP number
> and you get a loaner while yours is repaired.

OK, good for Nikon users. In the US if Leica knows you they will bend over
backwards to help you

> If the same thing happens with a Leica part you either a) do the job with
> your Nikon kit or
> b) buy a new one (planning to sell either it or the old one after the repair
> is completed).

Things will break, Nikons, Canons, Leicas and if one earns their living with
these tools it is prudent to have spares.

sl

Replies: Reply from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] lower classes don't use leicas?)