Subject: [Leica] SuperCoolscan 8000 ED
From: Pierre Charbonneau <charbonneaup@videotron.ca>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 17:37:12 -0400

I have been using the very popular Nikon LS-2000 for 3 years. The
motivation of buying it in the first place was coming from
clients who wished to have pictures transmitted electronically. Since
then, the new scanner has opened many doors by offering new
possibilities. Like being able to provide to a client a colour print
right on the spot, matching the client's needs and my personal tastes.
Actually, the scanner/computer/printer combo has put me back in control
of my colour work, like the wet darkroom allows me to work my monochrome
images. This has also been the beginning of rediscovering old colour
slides I have not printed in the past.

If scanned pictures from Velvia printed very well on my Epson's, I
always had a lot of problems with Kodachromes, especially the 200
version. The density, the colours were wrong, the grain not as pleasant
as on the light box.  In other words, I questioned the use of my beloved
Kodachromes since I was not happy with the  "electronic" printed
results.
The LS-2000 had another big drawback for me: it did not scan the 2 1/4
format. And medium format represents more than half of my professional
production.

So I decided to buy the new Nikon Coolscan 8000 ED. It is not cheap at
4500$ CDN, but it still makes sense in a commercial photographic
business. The results from any medium format  film is gorgeous. E-6,
C-41, or b/w, all are producing great scans, as long as I am patient. To
produce a 200 mg scan (28"x28" @ 300dpi) requires a lot from my old Mac
G-3. But the result are very well worth it.

Since this forum is Leica oriented,  I must point out how fantastic the
machine is in producing scans from 35mm Kodachrome. Actually, this new
scanner has a Kodachrome option in the film selection palette. It
definitely seems to read this type of film more easily. Is it because of
the 4.2 of dynamic range? i do not know, it is possible. The colours are
much more faithful, the finesse of details is improved, thanks to the
4000 dpi resolution, the original scan are now bigger @ 300 dpi.
etc.... A real winner!

Alleluia! I can love shooting K-200 again!  I can print from my
favourite slide film.

Pierre Charbonneau
Montreal