Subject: [Leica] Re: Silly Question, I guess
From: Herbert & Lee Kanner <kanner@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 16:10:21 -0700

It's interesting the way some threads take off and have a life of their own.

A few months ago, I violated all the rules of good behavior on the
rec.photo.equipment.35mm newsgroup by criticizing spelling: I just
got fed up at seeing "lense."  So, my good natured protest was
answered by: "Yank, idiot.  That's how it's spelled in the UK.  I've
been spelling it that way for 50 years."  So, I responded stating
that the Compact Oxford English Dictionary did not allow that
spelling.  Answer: "That's a very abridged dictionary."  I came back
at the guy with a reference to the full multi-volume OED, which had
only one definition for "lense," namely "to make lean," as in meat.

A month later, the damn thread was still going strong; it had the
same title, but had wandered off into some sort of a political
discussion, totally off topic.  I sent in a plaintive follow-up,
saying that I had started the thread and wished that it would die.

Herb
- --
Herbert Kanner
kanner@acm.org