Subject: Re: [Leica] Stolen Leicas--how do you prevent that from happening?
From: "Sander van Hulsenbeek" <vanhulsenbeek@wxs.nl>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 22:38:44 +0200

John wrote, i.a. :
>Alfie--
>Common sense is the best line of defense.
>Get rid of the Billingham bag. They look expensive and look like
>something expensive is in them. Get the small black Domke satchel
>bag.
>don't WEAR expensive stuff. Leave the
>Rolex at home and wear a cheap watch. Do  NOT call attention to
>yourself.
>Oh, and some places you should just punt as they say. If you're going
>to Brazil it's probably best just to get a guide/driver/bodyguard. IF
>you don't want to do that at least replace the neckstrap with a chain
>(no kidding) so it can't be cut off of you.

Very true! I do agree with the use of the Domke 803. Black is the best.
But the Domke inserts suck IMHO.  A Billingham Hadley insert fits in the 803
like a hand in a glove! Much better.

Very inconspicuous bag. So much that I carried it around in Brazil for a
month, with M6 and 3 lenses,
without a bodyguard trailing me, and I did not one time feel threatened, or
even watched.

I would say a bodyguard would catch attention, much more
than a reasonably tanned tourist with inconspicuous clothes( why not buy
some local shirts or polo's?),
a cheap Swatch watch and dusty shoes.

And do look confident. Fear shows itself.

So don't miss Brazil when you can go there. Great place!

Cuba was great too. Carried my Leica in an old army satchel, the years 50
kind, blencoed
and all! No one even looked at it. Except in old Havana, when I made a
picture,
a guy looked out of the window and shouted: Leica M 6 senor! Must have
been a friend of Alex Korda!

It,s the places where you don't expect it: that's where you get
pickpocketed.
Lost a wallet with 30 U$ worth in Ulan Bator in Mongolia this summer
(Pictures forthcoming!)
My own fault: should have been more careful, just like I always am in
Amsterdam, where I live!

Sander van Hulsenbeek,
Amsterdam, Holland

Replies: Reply from "John R. Fulton Jr." <JRFjr@compuserve.com> (Re: [Leica] Stolen Leicas--how do you prevent that from happening?)