Subject: Re: [Leica] Dave Beckerman has switched to Leica
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 15:06:59 -0400

on 8/29/01 2:11 PM, B. D. Colen at bdcolen@earthlink.net wrote:

> First off, are you seriously suggesting that it is fair to compare a
> Yashica 124G which costs how much, with a Hasselblad or Rollei?

my rolleiflex cost about the same as a 124G. It was very beaten up but the
picture quality is amazing. Besides this is not about price, but quality.
Nothing is more expensive than the wrong camera, however cheap.

> Second, let's all get a grip here and consider how many of us take
> "magnificent" photos that are going to suffer in major ways from being
> shot with Yashica's? And how much worse are the Yashica's lenses from
> the ancient Leica glass used by HCB to make many of his iconic images?
> (I know, I know, it's Leica 'glow,' it's not Leica flare and blurr.) ;-)

well this reminds me of when I used to play guitar. I bought lots of
off-brand guitars and amps because I didn't want to shell out for a real
Fender and Marshall. I wasn't the world's greatest guitarist but one day I
finally got sick of never quite getting the sound I wanted and I walked into
the guitar shop and laid out for a Fender Jazzmaster and a big ol' 100w
valve combo.

That night at rehearsal I plugged the damned thing in, hit a chord, and the
effect on my band members was wondrous to behold. Their jaws dropped open.
They held their heads as if they were about to explode. Big sloppy grins
came over their faces. I never, ever, regretted those purchases.

Of course not everyone can afford Leicas and Hassys and Rollys. But there is
a truly massive difference between the lens on a 124G and a sonnar or a
planar. And I am so bored of the HCB point. He, along with every serious
photographer I have met, used the best available to him at the time.

If you or anyone else is so down on their own photography that they have
given up the hope of making 'magnificent' pictures I suggest they put away
their cameras and take up knitting.

BTW the bokeh on my Yashica was ugly as hell.
- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

ICQ: 109343205