Subject: Re: [Leica] Stolen Leicas--how do you prevent that from happening?
From: "John R. Fulton Jr." <JRFjr@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 13:25:08 -0500

Alfie--
Common sense is the best line of defense.
Get rid of the Billingham bag. They look expensive and look like
something expensive is in them. Get the small black Domke satchel
bag. Better yet get a backpack like a billion students carry. Blend
in.
Don't leave your bag. I had a friend in transit to Cuba who put her
bag of Leicas down in the Miami hotel lobby while checking in. She
turned around and it was gone. Somebody in the hotel said, "oh yeah,
that happens all the time here". Great.  Keep the bag on your
shoulder.
Speaking of Billingham bags don't WEAR expensive stuff. Leave the
Rolex at home and wear a cheap watch. Do  NOT call attention to
yourself.
Sleeping in the hotel, triple lock the door. Hang something noisy on
the doorknob.  Don't discuss "leaving the cameras in the room" while
you're in the lobby--somebody will hear you.
If you're in a city known for thieves don't carry the bag at all.
Carry your Leica under a baggy coat with the lenses and film in a
pocket. That's what Leicas are made for.
You've got one of the most inconspicuous cameras in the world, now
YOU act inconspicuous.
Oh, and some places you should just punt as they say. If you're going
to Brazil it's probably best just to get a guide/driver/bodyguard. IF
you don't want to do that at least replace the neckstrap with a chain
(no kidding) so it can't be cut off of you.
Good luck
John Fulton

Replies: Reply from Andrew Schroter <schroter@optonline.net> (Re: [Leica] Stolen Leicas--how do you prevent that from happening?)