Subject: RE: [Leica] VF Magnifier
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 10:15:41 -0700

Indications are that this is a single loupe-like piece of kit that attaches like a diopter eyepiece.  As  such it would magnify the entire image, including both parts of the RF image.  As I understand it, this is how the different magnifications of the regular viewfinder work.

Dual eyes like on the old 35 Summicron wouldn't work for this application, because they change the angle of view of the incoming image, and what you want is to simply magnify the existing total image created by the viewfinder.  This is much easier to do, and doesn't require separate treatment of the VF and RF windows.  Separate treatment is necessary in the 35 RF case because if you change the angle of acceptance of the VF window you have to do the same thing for the RF window or the RF images won't coincide, being of different sizes.  If you magnify the whole VF image after it has been formed (like with a loupe) you magnify both RF images at the same time, and coincidence isn't affected.

Paul