Subject: RE: [Leica] Photoshop and Leica
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 13:49:34 -0500

Mitch,

Excellent points. I took up digital imaging for reasons of cost savings and
convenience. In one year I saved more than enough in processing to pay for
all my digital equipment -- scanner, printer, new computer components. That
was two years ago. Last year I photographed even more, so the costs savings
added up. Less cost meant I could shoot more.

I feel like I'm entering into phase 2. I see some creative opportunities in
digital that just weren't there for me in conventional processing. I'm not
refering to things wild or off-the-wall. I'll use toning as an example. I've
always been interesting in toning b/w prints. But I never felt comfortable
using some of the relatively exotic chemistry involved. I've used selenium
and sepia, but that's about it. With digital I can do the same things that I
could with chemical toners, with a lot less effort, not to mention fewer
long-term health risks.

Digital opens up avenues of expression that just weren't there before, in
both b/w and color. The only downside to digital is the huge learning curve
involved.

Dave

BTW, I remember doing page layout for a publisher. It was my first job out
of college in 1977. Hours and hours of cutting and pasting! I didn't much
like it.