Subject: [Leica] Re: [OT] William Shockley and Linus Pauling
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 17:42:27 -0700

At 07:24 AM 8/23/01 -0700, Brian Reid wrote:
>I knew both Bardeen and Feynman. I took a class from Feynman in 1968, and
>I knew Bardeen when he was at U of Illinois in that same time period.
>Trying to decide which of them is smarter is like trying to decide between
>Canon and Nikon. Let's not go there. Feynman was a better drummer.
>
>I also knew Linus Pauling, who won two unshared Nobel prizes, and after
>one day around him you realize that, if your goal is changing the world,
>intelligence isn't everything.

I knew Bill Shockley who, as far as I am concerned, invented the
transistor. I have copies of a lot of his original writings (longhand in
pen) to Bardeen and from my reading it, it sure seems to me that he was the
major force in finding out how semiconductor junctions work and migration
of holes and charges. His writings seem to be telling the other folks how
it works, include crudely sketched drawings. But, of course, I could be
biased and wrong. It probably was a collaboration. :)

I also knew Linus Pauling. My dentist (Guy Cochran) was my Junior Hi math
and science teacher before becoming a dentist. He was the same to Terry
Shuchat, owner of Keeble & Shuchat Photography. He is the person that got
me started in photography at age 12. He taught me how to develop film. 620
film, yo-yo'ing it in a pan of developer, then stop, then dropping it in a
bucket of fix. I was hooked!

Anyway, Linus Pauling and his wife were patients of Guy and numerous times
over the years, I managed to be there at the same time as Linus Pauling.
Guy Cochran was a great talker and always interested in what Linus was
doing so we always had a great conversation. Guy Cochran died last March. A
great loss.

Another close friend of mine, Linda Melvin, worked directly for Linus
Pauling as a document researcher. Whatever Linus was working on, she found
everything available on the planed dealing with that subject.

http://www.nobel.se/physics/laureates/1956/
http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/page/pau0pro-1

Jim

Message from Marvin Levi <temil001@yahoo.com> ([Leica] John Bardeen, was Re: OT Richard Feynman)