Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica announces $500 rebate on O Series
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 16:05:50 -0400

I just guessing here, but I suspect that many of the older lenses used more
brass than current lenses, and hence were heavier.  And I think that heft
adds psychologically to the feeling of quality in something.

I'm discovering that with the Minolta Dimage 7 digicam I recently acquired.
 It is getting a lot of bad press concerning its flimsy construction.
Admitedly, the lens barrel is plastic, and feels it, most of the rest of
the camera is a light weight magnesium alloy diecast construct, it just
"feels" plasticy.   It is proving to be quite durable, so far (I've already
dropped it onto a hard wood floor, no damage to camera).

dan c.