Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 aperture control ring malfunctioning
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 02:54:50 -0700 (PDT)

Dear All,

I have received some helpful information from quite a few people about
my sticky aperture control ring problem. Thanks to all who responded.
It seems to be a common failing with R8s and dealers have had to send
the cameras with that defect to Solms, because they were unable to
carry out the repair themselves.

So, it seems I will have to ship my R8 to Leica Camera AG in Germany. I
have sent an email to Mr. Horst Braun, at Leica's customer service in
Solms, just to verify that it will be OK to send it, then I'll bite the
bullet! I just hope there's a way I can avoid being charged duty by
Indonesian customs when the camera is finally returned to me!

I don't wish to gripe about the R8 because, apart from that one
problem, I have found the camera to be a wonderful tool and I would not
swap it for any other SLR, Leica or otherwise. However, I must say that
this does seem to be a flaw in its mechanical design.

Regards,

=====
Ray