Subject: Re: [Leica] Photography in Saudi Arabia
From: Patrick Markham <markham30@home.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 21:11:24 -0700

on 8/20/01 1:28 PM, Jason Vicinanza at jason@futurafish.com wrote:

> I will be working in Saudi Arabia for a couple of days next week. Although
> ive worked in the Middle East before ive never been to Saudi.
>
> Does anyone have any advice re photography in the region. I don?t suppose
> street photography is big over there and could possible land me in a lot
> of hot water. Should I even bother? Any advice appreciated.
>
> Cheers
>
> Jason Vicinanza

Jason I lived and worked in Saudi for several years and found that it's very
hard to paint the whole country with one brush (which I imagine is true for
most countries of the world.) I guess the best question is where will you be
in Saudi? The eastern provinces are Shiite and are very orthodox - women in
black from head to toe. Be careful photographing women here. Better yet, I
wouldn't do it. However the villages are so intriguing. Like a time machine
thousands of years back in time. Date trees. Donkey carts. Lovely
architecture. Lots to photograph.

The central part of Saudi is pure desert. Tall sand dunes. Some oasis with
palm trees. Very photogenic. Here the religion is mixed between Shiite and
Sunni. The royal family is Sunni and they are much more progressive than
they let on to their subjects. (Insights I learned from knowing the royal
family's "official" photographer - who by the way is a woman.) Riyad is the
biggest city in the desert and is quite an amazing town.

The west coast of Saudi is almost purely Sunni and people here are way more
open about things than their east coast countrymen and women. In Jeddah and
Taif women wear brightly colored clothes, own their own businesses and are
out on the streets. The people are very nice all over Saudi - but here
things are much more open and laid back. I wouldn't worry nearly as much
about offending folks with street photos here. Beautiful architecture -
especially in the ancient city of Taif.

Hope this helps. Bring back an antique hand made brass coffee pot if you can
find one. This is the birth place of coffee drinking and their pots are
classic.

Patrick Markham

Olympia, WA
Starbucks land