Subject: Re: [Leica] Monster Leica R 280 f.2.8
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 16:44:37 -0700

Naw the 280 2.8 isn't a monster lens, if you want monster go for the 800mm
6.3! You can't hand old that one, but you sure as hell can the 280 2.8.
trust me I've done it hundreds and hundreds of times. :-) Piece of cake once
you learn how to do it.

Daniel Bowdoin wrote

>>In 1980 I don't think the 280f2.8 R lens was even a gleam in the eye of
> Leitz optical engineers. :-)<<<<<<

It may have been a gleam in their eyes but it didn't appear on the market
until early '84 here in Canada where I was one of the first to purchase. As
I had the LA Olympics coming up and was fed up using a Nikkor 300 2.8
adapted to Leica.

I still have the same 280 2.8 Leica lens and have used for countless
thousands of images around the world on various assignments, certainly a
wonderful piece of glass.
ted
Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant