Subject: Re: [Leica] WW II V2 rocket sites update
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 18:57:21 -0400

At 08:56 PM 8/20/01 +0200, Alan Hull wrote:
>IMHO WW11 is the aftershock from WW1, when armies decided that it was much
>safer to battle with civilians rather than face each other on a battlefield.
>Blitzkrieg and submarine warfare against merchant ships, holocaust, refugees
>etc. etc. etc.
>
>WW1 was when armies faced off against armies.

This is a most cruel and horrible thing to say on a List whose members
include folks whose families lost military relatives in the War.  My uncle
was wounded landing in the third wave at D-Day -- he would have been most
amused to hear that he was "making war on civilians", as my father would
have been when the Japanese aircraft were shooting at him at Dutch Harbor
- -- or mayhaps you are suggesting that those airplanes were piloted by
civilians?

Almost 300,000 US military personnel died in combat operations in the
Second World War.  I would suggest that a retraction and apology is in order.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!

Replies: Reply from "Alan Hull" <hull@telia.com> (Re: [Leica] WW II V2 rocket sites update)